School History

Posted on April 28th, 2015 by brometadmin

Bromet Primary School opened in 1972 on its current site. We are named after Mary Pownall Bromet who was a distinguished sculptress. From her marriage in 1902 until her death in 1937 she lived and worked in Lime Lodge, which was in Heath Road, Oxhey. She, like a number of other artists, built her studio to be near to Hubert Von Herkomer’s art school in Bushey.

She exhibited at the Royal Academy, at Leading London and provincial galleries and abroad.

Her works included portraits of local people such as Mrs. Allen, a bell ringer at the Old Chapel, Oxhey Place, and Grandpa Field a celebrated local character. She also sculptured the three bronze figures for the Watford War Memorial.

For her time she was an unusually determined woman who overcame the disapproval of family and friends. At one time she was President of the Society of Woman Artists.

Posted on:

Classes:


© Copyright 2017, , All Rights Reserved.